Jal Shakti Abhiyan
Department of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Haryana
Jal Shakti Abhiyan is a campaign pioneering the ideas of the Government of India about conserving and sustaining water resources. The alarming decrease in the levels of groundwater in the country has led to citizens fighting their way to procure drinking water. This has been a cause for concern for the Government, resulting in the need for a campaign on creating awareness among the people on the diminishing potable water in the country and sensitizing them on how to conserve and harvest rainwater.
We started a campaign on behalf of The Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Haryana to raise awareness among the people about the cause. 19 of the 22 districts in the State had been declared as “Dark Zones” because they had completely run out of groundwater. The urgency of the situation required unparalleled effort from the Department and the citizens of the State.
Therefore, to deal with the issue of overexploited groundwater and depleting water resources, an IEC campaign on Jal Shakti Abhiyan was launched with effective employment of social media.
- Social Media, Radio and Theme Songs - Used different platforms to make Jal Shakti Abhiyan a people’s movement.
- Smart Sanchay Solutions – Launched chain challenges encouraging people to take initiatives relating to the Abhiyan and further nominating two more people to do the same.
- Jal Shakti Rath - Started the tour from Panchkula with thematic festivities to sensitize audience towards the cause of water conservation.
- Kisan Melas and Kisan Sangoshtis - Organised in villages across the State to raise awareness among the farmers on adopting sprinkles irrigation and drip irrigation technologies, adopting less water intensive crops, etc.
- Organized awareness rallies, plantation drives and pledges.